Please apply by Friday, May 25
Update: this post has been filled.
We are seeking a part-time Communications Intern to join our office in New York City.
Gehl Institute is a new nonprofit that creates knowledge and serves as a platform to make public life a driver for design, policy, and governance. Our current projects include the development of a framework to inform the creation of healthier, more inclusive public spaces; an open data protocol to help cities measure how people are using their public spaces; a convening in Detroit for over 100 designers, planners, policymakers, and community leaders; and a masterclass series in the Bay Area and Copenhagen.
This is a three-month, part-time position, for college credit, work-study, or hourly compensation commensurate with experience. Candidates must be available in-person for a minimum of 10-16 hours a week. The exact days of the week are flexible.
Candidates must demonstrate strong design and writing skills, experience with various social media platforms, and knowledge of contemporary issues related to cities and the public realm.
- Contribute to the formation of Gehl Institute communications strategy
- Expand Institute presence across social media platforms
- Help draft press releases for Institute projects
- Edit and post content for website, including proofreading and photo research
- Respond to email inquiries related to recent projects
- Provide graphic design support
- Scan recent press for articles relevant to our work and compile summaries
- Strong writing skills
- Strong graphic skills
- Familiarity with social platforms including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Proficiency with software and CMS including Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and WordPress
- Previous communications experience is a plus
- Undergraduate or graduate work in Urban Studies is a plus
- Interest in Gehl Institute’s work and mission
To apply, email the following to email@example.com
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the role and Gehl Institute
- Short-form writing sample – 500 words or less
- Long-form writing sample – 4 pages minimum
- If applicable: previous press releases or other communications work
Image by Jennifer Gardner.